Food and Health
- High in pectin and bioflavonoids.
- Contain phytochemicals that may reduce risk for heart disease, cancer and stokes.
- A fair source of iron and potassium.
- A low-calorie sweet snack and dessert.
- Since they are often treated with sulfur dioxide to retard spoiling, grapes may present a problem for sulfite-sensitive people.
- Natural salicylates may provoke an allergic response.
- A good source of vitamin C, potassium and bioflavonoids.
- Fair amounts of iron and vitamni A.
- High in fiber, low in calories.
- Their tartness is usually offset with large amounts of added sugar.
- Gooseberry bushes harbor a fungus that kills some types of pine trees.